Bahamas Day 5 – Wednesday

We woke up at Compass Cay and let the kids swim with and harass the nurse sharks for a bit, then packed some water and headed off for a hike.  We walked on a trail and then across a really large flat area of sand that they sometimes us as a runway. Part of it had received asphalt at one time, and based on how it looked when we walked across, this was not a good idea.

We ended up at the Bat Cave. The kids were sorely disappointed as the only bat in sight was a black plastic baseball bat hanging from the ceiling. D even wrote in his travel journal, “The parents all laughed at the joke but I didn’t see why it was funny.”

Frank & Christopher in the bat cave


We climbed around some cliffs for a while, and then walked across the desolate sandy/asphalt area toward Crescent Beach. It was during this long walk that I discovered something about myself: as much as I love sand, I don’t think I could last walking across a desert more than about 6 hours before I went bats hit insane. Even in this relatively firm sand, after a quarter mile or so I started feeling like I was in a bad dream – one of those dreams where it’s like you’re running through molasses. Also, I was hungry and thirsty, so I was already a little cranky.


Anyway, eventually we got back to Crescent Beach and passed a couple of hours playing.

For lunch we had burgers & dogs from Tucker’s restaurant (where restaurant = 1 grill on a dock) and really enjoyed them.

Around 3, everyone came back to the boat. One guy from our boat had been off in a kayak fishing for bonefish, and came back with a cool story and video: he’d been bitten on the arm by a baby bull shark he’d hooked. His shirt sleeve was shredded and he had a nice semicircle on his arm, and he was grinning from ear to ear. After this encounter, he said he was sitting in his kayak when he noticed an 8-foot bull shark right underneath him. As these are pretty aggressive sharks, he sat perfectly still until it swam away.

We headed out from Compass Cay to a place called Rocky Dundas, where you could snorkel into some caves.

From there, we sailed to South Warderick Wells, and anchored off shore. After dinner (mahi spaghetti), when it got dark, we grabbed flashlights and dinghies to the island to search for hutias. A hutia is a native rodent somewhere in size between a guinea pig and a cat, and when you shine a light on one, it freezes. To be honest, I thought it was going to be a snipe hunt until we saw our first hutia. It was fun to hear them rustling around and then scramble to try to spotlight them. The kids had a blast.

a hutia!


You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *