Of Supermoons, Sand, Milestones, and Rotten Apples

This weekend’s adventure started with a visit to the lakehouse. It was an absolutely gorgeous day and evening, and we spent much of it on the deck. (There may or may not also have been a couple of glasses of wine involved. Hint: there were.)  Our deck is situated perfectly for watching the moon rise, and the Supermoon gave us a pretty good show.

My photography, however, is lacking.  Apparently, when you break your tripod, it’s much harder to take long-exposure pictures in low-light conditions. Who knew? But here are some pics of the moon.  Note the blur factor increasing as the light decreases:


This one’s my favorite. It looks like the Supermoon is dividing, and becoming a Supermoon Embryo

Also, there was a gecko.

Also, there were dogs. Here’s C with my parents’ two dogs, Dillon (stalking) and Zia (lap)


and Zia by herself:

There was also a whole lot of this. We call it lazy-fighting:


After our night at the lakehouse, we headed north to the bustling metropolis of Decatur, Texas. We checked in to the Days Inn, and were given a room that was already occupied, and trashed. Once we got that sorted out, we laughed that the room keys were actually Wal-Mart gift cards. Yeehaw.  Next, we headed off to pick up Frank’s race packet for the next morning (What? Surely you didn’t think this was a race-free trip?) and then to dinner at Verona’s, the “best restaurant in town.”

I’ll admit I sometimes feel awkward in small towns, and I did giggle at a couple of things on their menu. The first was their soup of the day, “ministroni” – because regular stronis were too much! – and the second was that they spelled gnocchi “ingochi.” But damn! It wasn’t bad – and it was super cheap. I had some baked ziti with Italian sausage and Frank had some sort of sampler plate, plus Italian sausage. My glass of wine cost as much as my entree. +1 to Verona’s. -1 to me for being a jerk.

Frank’s marathon was about 20 minutes from town, in some park by a lake with lots of people camping with their horses. C was excited to see the horses, and, apparently, this windmill:

(See? We’re city folk, though I spent a large chunk of my childhood in semi-rural Idaho.)

Here’s C while we were waiting for Frank to finish:

Here’s Frank nearing the finish.

(I’d like to point out that the temperature at this point was 75, which was 60 degrees warmer than the temp at last weekend’s 5k in Minneapolis.)

The little girl playing in the dirt may not have been impressed with Frank’s finish, but we sure were. This was Frank’s 120th marathon, and he came in 5th overall. He had a great time especially considering it was a trail race, it was hot,  and he ran through fine sand most of the way (“‘Grasslands?” They oughta call this stupid race ‘Sandlands’.”)

That night, we went to Scott & Lindsey’s. We had a great dinner at Fireside Pies, and continued the party back at the house. While we were there, C called around to the area Apple stores on the off chance that one of them might have an iPad 2 lying around (he’s been saving for a long time, and has been really patient, for months.) The Southlake Apple store told him they’d be getting a shipment in the next morning, and that they’d open early, at 11:00, to accomodate people.  We made him call back to confirm the 11:00 opening time, which another employee did.

So, we drove over to Southlake, and got there about 10:20. At first glance, it was pretty exciting because there was no line in front of the store…until we realized that people were inside the store, shopping. C and i darted across the street and walked in, passing someone who was walking out with an iPad box. He asked an employee if there were any more, and the guy told him, “No, we just sold the last one.”  When C said, “But you were supposed to open at 11! Why are you open now?” the guy shrugged and said “We just opened like 30 minutes ago,” in an annoyed voice. I said, “He called and was specifically told twice that it would be at 11. What’s the deal?”  The guy semi-rolled his eyes at me and said, “It wouldn’t have mattered anyway. There was a line. You wouldn’t have got one.” I pointed to the lady walking away with the iPad box, and he pretended not to notice.

So, that kind of sucked. Christopher was really disappointed. At first he begged us to see if they’d sell us a demo model, but we told him they wouldn’t, so he held stoically back tears and said, “Let’s get out of here. People shouldn’t lie to kids.”

No, they shouldn’t. They should also try being nicer in person. It really makes me wish I didn’t like their products, because I generally hate dealing with their employees. So, boo on you, Southlake Apple store.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *